I am noticing more and more that a vast majority of African American women have started a journey to embrace their own natural hair textures. So many of us have never quite known our real hair texture until making the decision to switch over from using chemicals and excessive heat. Not that anything is wrong with having a good ole relaxer, some of us made the switch just out of curiosity of what our natural hair would look and feel like.
Now that we know what our true textures are, there are some days when we just wanna say, “Curl, Bye!!” At this point, the option of protective styles come into play. I am guilty of being tired of rocking my curls. Yea, I said it!! If you wanna know the truth, the everyday manipulation of styling and the environment can really take a toll on our hair. With that being said, the next time you get frustrated with your hair, just put it away. You’ll be doing yourself a huge favor.
Some of the advantages of wearing protective hair styles is convenience and promotion of hair growth. Not only that, it’s always nice to have an overall refreshed appearance.
Check out these protective style ideas…
Sheryta Samuel opted for long box braids. To achieve this look, I chose not to cut the bundle of hair in half, giving the style added length.
Autumn opted for long copper tone tresses. (Extensions were already colored.) To achieve this style, I made sure the braid pattern was appropiate for long straight hair. She will be curling this hair for her senior prom.
Amy Williams opted for a short curly bob. To achieve this style, I stacked the crown for fullness, gave her long bangs, and tapered her around the nape area.
I am writing this letter to express my true love for you. I don’t think you understand how much you give me life! The thought of going one day without you makes me weak, flushed with fever. Every cell in my body yearns to have you. Please believe me when I say, “I would just die without you.”
SMH…Some of you actually thought I was talking to my husband, didn’t ya? I must admit that I do love him too, but the Bae I’m referring to is WATER, H2O, Agua!! Lol!
Seriously, I am astonished at how many people I come across who would rather reach for something other than a good tall glass of water. I mean, how can you not like something that does your body good? Water aids in good digestion; protects your tissues, spinal cord, and joints; and prevents you from becoming dehydrated.
Water can also help you lose weight, but you have to do a whole lot more than rely on it to do so by itself. When it comes to hair growth and strengthening, water flushes out toxins faster, which can make your hair grow a lot faster.
I love drinking water daily. Not only is it essential for my health, it helps moisten my vocal cords, clears up my skin, and it fills me up. I, unlike others, truly enjoy its quenching taste. (I can hear some of my friends saying, “WATER AIN’T GOT NO TASTE!” Lol! Well, my friends, do yourself a huge favor and try to chug some down anyway!!
“When life give you water, don’t go and make lemonade.” –Sheryta Spears Samuel
As I reflect back on what I looked like a year ago, I say to myself, “Wow, I had no idea.” “Girl, look what you’ve done to yourself.” “Girl, bye!!” Lol!
You know how it is when the garbage in your house smells, but you can’t smell it? Well, that’s exactly what happened here. I was completely unaware of the stinch.
So one day, it finally clicked. I decided it was time to treat myself better. It’s been months in the making, but I can now proudly say that living a healthier lifestyle is the best thing that I’ve ever done for myself.
You can take control too by educating yourself on nutrition and believing that hard work ALWAYS pays off. Make up your mind to treat yourself better in 2017 and I promise you’ll feel and look better for as long as you stay committed.
Happy New You…and Me! 😉
Do you have any idea what a handful of natural raw ALMONDS can do for you? Here’s why I gave it the nickname…”The New Nutty Buddy.”
- Almonds are low in carbs, but high in protein and fiber and healthy fats. Studies show that eating almonds (and other nuts) can increase satiety and help you eat fewer calories. Combined with the hunger-fighting properties, it makes sense that nuts are a great addition to an effective weight loss diet.
- Almonds are high in antioxidants that can protect your cells from oxidative damage, a major contributor to ageing and disease.
- Almonds are among the world’s best sources of vitamin E. Getting plenty of vitamin E from foods is linked to numerous health benefits.
- Almonds are extremely high in magnesium, a mineral that most people don’t get enough of. High magnesium intake may have major benefits for metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Low magnesium levels are strongly linked to high blood pressure, indicating that almonds can be beneficial for blood pressure control.
- Eating 1-2 handfuls of almonds per day can lead to mild reductions in LDL cholesterol levels. They do more than just lower LDL levels in the blood. They also protect the LDL from oxidation, which is a crucial step in the heart disease stages.
So the next time you visit your local supermarket or convenience store, pick up a few bags of natural raw Almonds. Keep a bag in your car, in your desk drawer at work, and in your kitchen cupboard. Make almonds your new Nutty Buddy and hunger will be a thing of the past.
Sources: Authority Nutrition. All rights reserved and Stock Photos. All rights reserved.